What You’ll Be Doing
This is an exciting opportunity to join the engineering function at Photobox. We are looking for an experienced engineering director to join a versatile and creative senior engineering management team.
As this team’s director you will be responsible for a group of engineering leads each heading up one or more dynamic cross-functional teams who are constantly striving for quality software solutions that are delivered on time, within budget and scope, and who drive a culture of quality and personal accountability.
You will need a strong understanding of large-scale e-commerce platform development, have experience building RESTful web services and an appreciation of the technical challenges engineers face. You will also be excited about the opportunity that machine learning coupled with artificial intelligence will bring to consumer experiences.
You will be from an engineering background and have a good understanding of architectural practices having worked with or lead an architecture team. You will be an advocate of Agile engineering practices and you will have prior line management experience with a track record of keeping highly skilled developers motivated.
You will line manage several development teams, distributed across both website and back office applications. Mentoring and developing the development team member’s careers and maximising individual and team potential is required. You will lead your teams to refine their Agile development process and take the lead in driving engineering initiatives to improve productivity. We believe in TDD and Continuous delivery and this should be a passion of yours.
You will be expected to successfully launch new products quickly as well as manage a large existing code base. The role is 10% technical and 90% psychological. You will be managing C-level stakeholders and permanently pursuing the best balance between delivering functionality and non-functional aspects for the platforms.
You will have a management team of talented people looking after the editor applications and the multiple services it uses to serve our customers.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Cultivate, nurture and maintain a strong agile engineering culture within the teams
- Identify and grow existing talent, work with HR to develop and execute a reward and progression program to drive engineer engagement
- Own and drive a program of continual improvement, application performance management and tuning and a culture of team autonomy/ownership
- Management and maintenance of our existing editor platforms
- Getting machine learning in front of customers to drive value
- Peak: prepare for and control the seasonality of the business
This role will be heading an established team of engineers running a mission critical platform for the company. You'll have great chemistry with your peers and reports and will easily partner with cross functional teams to get things done.
You are a great team builder, a natural leader and an inveterate do-er; no ivory tower hierarchies here. You will naturally do everything necessary to ship on time, on spec and on budget. You are uplifting and good fun to be around; optimistic in nature, able to laugh often. You don't take yourself too seriously but you take your work very seriously.
You are obsessed with our customers and take ownership of any challenge that will make their lives easier. You don’t settle to the status quo and are a conscious innovator. You have a strong bias for action and are able to dive deep into any subject requiring your attention and never say no to a good challenge.
You think big and your decisions are future proof. You insist on the highest standards on everything you do. You are right a lot but are also able to be vocally self-critical and immune to loss aversion.
What experience will you have?
- Unsurpassed enterprise level web and application development experience
- Significant experience managing engineering teams (>30 people) or SaaS engineering.
- Demonstrable experience of running large scale AWS implementations
- Be able to demonstrate knowledge of a broad mix of technologies, including: open source, Web Services and Web service management, caching and load balancing technology, Windows/Linux operating systems
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and lead a team of independent and creative thinkers.
- Proven track record of leading and managing teams on complex products
- Worked in or managed Agile development teams using Scrum or Kanban engineering practises
- A strong advocate of TDD and test automation practises within development teams
- Worked in a team working towards or having successfully delivered continuous delivery of code
- Experience working with SOA based architectural principles and Object Oriented Design
- Using source code control (TFS, Subversion, Git) in multi-branch environments
- Considerable experience of C-level stakeholder management
- Departmental budgeting experience
A taste of what to expect as part of the team
- Our office based in office in Quai de Jemmapesnear has a relaxed and social atmosphere
- Regular socials, engagement activities, drinks, treats and plenty more – and you can be as involved in as little or as much as you’d like
- We’re open & honest, actively listening to employee feedback to help us in our goal to become an Awesome place to work
- Together we have shedloads of ambition and actively support each other to hit our goals and drive the business forward
- All sorts of Learning & Development to support you throughout your career, including a dedicated budget per team. We’re also launching exciting new development tools in 2018
- Contrat cadre au forfait (25CP + 11 RTT in 2018)
- Private Medical Insurance Mutuelle
- Refund 50% of pass Navigo
- +Tickets restaurant after 3 months
- Generous credit to spend on our products (varies per brand)
Since Photobox was founded in 2000 we've worked obsessively to simplify the printing and personalising of digital photos online. From humble origins (a first day's sale of just £2.70 - albeit to a customer we're proud to still serve today) Photobox has grown to become the European market-leader in photo-based products serving millions of customers a year in over ten markets.
Whether it's personalised canvases, calendars, mugs, jigsaws, phone covers, or our classic photo books, Photobox has a wide range of products perfect for every occasion.
We understand special moments deserved to be cherished that's why we treat every order as if it's our own. From births to birthdays, holidays to honeymoons, Christmas to Valentine's Day and everything in between, our teams focus on the delivery of a brilliant end to end experience from the digital journey through to high quality products arriving into our customers hands.
We’re part of Photobox Group, Europe’s leading retailer of personal and personalised products. Our family of brands – Photobox, Moonpig, H