Senior Data Engineer - Moonpig
What would you do if there were no constraints? Challenging the status quo and pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved will be key to Moonpig as we take on some of the biggest challenges we have ever faced.
As a result we are looking for a Senior Data Engineer with experience in building large scale data platforms that can help drive the technical decisions and delivery of our platform. Moonpig is rebuilding its data platform from the ground up and this platform will help drive a truly data driven organisation whilst enabling capabilities such as
- accurate, trusted business metrics
- machine learning models at scale for both batch and real time scenarios
- democratising data and the transformation thereof
- a highly transparent operational overview
It’s a highly impactful role with tons of interesting technical problems to solve. Your job now is to lead by example and help others achieve the same thing using high-levels of empathy and your engineering excellence.
Senior Engineers are the lifeblood of Moonpig, and as such we set the bar high. For us it’s so much more than just writing good code, it’s about how you enable those around you to do the same.
We expect great things:
- Good engineering comes first. You'll have a great technical knowledge base and the experience to know what works and what doesn’t. We expect you to apply these skills in making the right decisions and applying best practices wherever possible.
- Technical coaching and leadership. You'll be collaborative, inclusive and spreading knowledge wherever possible. People will be looking up to you for technical guidance and part of your role will be to help them on that journey. You will also be responsible for creating the right forums to drive engineering principles and practices across all of engineering. You have the autonomy to drive decisions, but it’s your responsibility to ensure everyone is involved.
- Culture and advocacy. You will be supporting a growth culture (e.g. running lunch & learns, brown bags, etc.) as well as advocating the organisation externally through meetups, blogging, hackathons etc. This is important to us as we are all in this together.
What a good Senior Data Engineer looks like for us
- You are data driven, metric obsessed and love visualising data (but aren’t a fan of Gantt charts)
- You are passionate and want to make a difference. You take the initiative to help achieve the ever scaling objectives of Moonpig.
- You know what “good” looks like and are highly skilled in the recruitment of high calibre engineers, but at the same time understand that continuous improvement is key to getting from good to great .
- You are a product enthusiast and put the needs of the customer at the forefront of the things you build
- You have a strong technical background, a passion for technology and know what good engineering and architecture looks like
What kind of experience you should have
- Experience fostering a culture of engineering excellence in an agile environment.
- Building quality products and features.
- Building large scale data platforms and demonstrating the value they provided
- Worked with and supported Data architects, Data Engineers and Data Scientists,
- Demonstrate strategic and critical thinking with a history of shrewd decision making
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical people
- Strong product and business thinking
- Ability to give meaningful, candid, actionable feedback
Extra bonus points if you:
- Communicate and articulate clearly and effectively
- Drive clarity from ambiguity
- Have a broad and comprehensive understanding of concepts and principles in engineering
- Influence and facilitate at various technical levels
- Excellent understanding of wider industry context & trends, both technical & product
What tech you should have experience in:
- Snowflake (or similar tech such as Redshift or BigQuery)
- Ingestion tools such as Fivetran, Stitch Data, Airflow or similar
- Streaming technologies such as Kafka, Data flow, Kinesis, Spark or similar
- SQL and modelling data
- Monitoring and logging tools such as ELK, New Relic, Grafana or similar
- Extensive experience in AWS related technologies
- DevOps and infrastructure as code (Code deploy, terraform or something similar)
- Building production ready APIs using API Gateway, Lambda’s etc.
Want to hear more about Moonpig and our benefits? Take a look at our dedicated hiring site https://hiring.moonpig.io/