Engineering Manager - Platform (London)
This is an exciting time to join Moonpig. In the last year the company has undergone a major transformation under new senior management to prepare the company for growth. The next 3-5 years will be spent realising Moonpig's ambition to become your personal gifting assistant.
As the Engineering Manager for the Platform team you will be responsible for developing our engineering talent through recruitment, mentoring, coaching and effective performance reviews, enabling a team of engineers to reach both their career goals and the objectives of Moonpig.
You’ll have a hands on role in a team that sits at the intersection of DevOps, Architecture, Infrastructure and Coding. The Platform team will be designing and building the patterns, practices and architectures used by our engineering teams on our multi-million pound e-commerce stack. You will be solving problems such as creating a unified monitoring and alerting solution in a serverless world, standardising our messaging architecture, creating CI/CD pipelines and creating our Global API architecture.
You’ll also work with our principal engineers to ensure technical best practices are adhered and with our product managers with a focus on mid to long term planning.
This is a great opportunity to have a massive impact on both the Moonpig team culture and it’s future technology platforms.
What you can expect as an engineering manager:
As an engineering manager here at Moonpig, you will be responsible for developing our engineering talent through recruitment, mentoring, coaching and effective performance reviews, enabling a team of engineers to reach both their career goals and the objectives of Moonpig. You’ll have a hands-on role in the planning, execution and successful delivery of projects, ensuring technical best practices are adhered to while working closely with our product managers with a focus on mid to long term planning.
As an Engineering Manager, we have the following three big expectations:
- Building culture. “Culture eats process for breakfast” and we wholeheartedly believe this. As an engineering manager you are responsible for fostering a growth culture and contributing to our management best practices. You help us become an exceptional place to work for the ambitious, highly motivated people we hire. Your team of engineers are responsible for various services and you advocate the mantra “You build it, you run it”. At the end of the day, you have a massive influence on our overall engineering quality and culture and you actively work to continuously improve this.
- People progression. As an engineering manager you are also expected to focus on the progression of people. Fifty percent of your time will be focussed on coaching, 121’s, mentoring and driving a high performance engineering culture. You need to be empathetic towards individual’s needs and ensure we support and grow our engineers. You’ll identify which skill sets are required for the successful delivery of projects, coaching or recruiting engineers to cover any skill shortages.
- Driving good engineering. As an engineering manager you'll lead by example, demonstrating best practises, working with your engineers through regular pairing sessions or providing technical leadership to help deliver new features, ensuring that the design and development of our systems adhere to our engineering principles.
What a good engineering manager looks like for us:
- You are an empathetic leader, enjoy leading teams and developing people towards reaching their career goals
- You are data driven, metric obsessed and love visualising data (but aren’t a fan of Gantt charts)
- You are passionate and want to make a difference. You will have a bias for action, driving quick decisions to help achieve the ever scaling objectives of Moonpig.
- You know what “good” looks like and are highly skilled in the recruitment and retention of high calibre engineers, but at the same time understand that continuous improvement and meaningful, candid, actionable feedback is key to getting from good to great .
- You are a product enthusiast and put the needs of the customer at the forefront of the things you build.
- You are pragmatic around agile, quality over delivery and over-engineering. You use tools for awareness and continuous improvement, not for the sake of using them.
- You have a strong technical background, a passion for technology and know what good engineering, architecture and DevOps looks like
- Test driven development
- Pair programming
- Microservice architecture & Restful API's
Want to hear more about Moonpig and our benefits? Take a look at our dedicated hiring site https://hiring.moonpig.io/