Software Engineer - Find (London)
Moonpig is an iconic British brand, but we always think bigger. We have our sights set on becoming the world's largest online personalised card provider (by a big margin) and you could join us on this amazing journey. Our great team and culture is the perfect environment for you progress through your career as an Engineer.
Working on one of our Search teams you will be playing a key role in helping our customers find the perfect card and gift for any occasion. We focus on delivery and use a lean mindset to constantly deliver innovative new features to our customers. At the same time, we are passionate about technology and are currently migrating to a modern stack built with React, .NET Core, AWS, Elastic and serverless functions.
We are looking for engineers who love learning and have a passion for solving tough technical problems. This is a migration project so we need engineers who can dive into legacy code one-minute and write code in our green-field new stack the next. Whether you have an eye for building fantastic user experiences or want to develop services that can deal with the pressure of our peak sales periods, we want to hear from you!
This is a great opportunity to show us what you can do, develop your skills further and contribute to a team that is delivering huge revenue growth for the company.
What you can expect as an engineer
Engineers are the foundation of our teams at Moonpig, we look for people who want to learn from peers, have a growth mindset and understand that the learning never ends in the ever-changing technology landscape.
As an Engineer, we have three big expectations:
- Good engineering comes first. First and foremost, we are always striving for good engineering and this is so much more than just writing good, clean code. It’s a way of thinking about your code, domain, peers, supporting processes and the entire ecosystem in which you operate. You should be learning how this all fits together and focusing on your contribution towards it.
- Focus on delivery. Delivery is fundamental to great engineering, it’s why we write software after all. You will build up a solid understanding of what good delivery looks like, how to work in high performing teams, what makes good team dynamics and how the collective process contributes towards fast, incremental delivery.
- Learn and grow. You will be continuously growing your engineering skills and ensuring you are surrounding yourself with people that can help you do this. Understand the core differences between coding, craft and architecture and how they are applied at scale. You are evolving to a world in which you are responsible for part of the technical estate, so make sure you are growing to take on this challenge with confidence.
What a good engineer looks like for us…
- You understand the different types of testing (unit, integration, UI, etc.) and how they can be used to drive good engineering practices
- You strive to balance technical excellence and delivery
- You actively seek opportunities for pairing and learning from others
- You engage with other team members to understand what they are doing and importantly “why”
- You are passionate and want to make a difference
- You take the initiative to help achieve the ever scaling objectives of Moonpig.
What kind of experience might you have...
- Working in an Agile environment as part of a cross-functional team.
- Good communication skills, able to share status updates clearly and to ask timely and relevant questions when working with your peers.
- Have a good understanding of the language and framework you work in, being able to guide others when working collaboratively
- Writing code which follows secure coding practices
- Identifying and understanding the importance of non-functional requirements and their potential impact
- Follows good, and are able to defend technical decisions in code review feedback
Extra bonus points if you...
- Understand Cycle time and WIP limits and how small batch sizes reduce risk
- Contribute to an engineering blog or at local meetup events
- Use "Red, Green, Refactor" as your default workflow
- Have experience using Elastic or AWS.
- Test driven development
- Pair programming
- Microservice architecture & Restful API's
We are here to make someone’s day brilliant! Our goal is to make 20 million amazing moments by 2020, and we’re looking for creative, collaborative people to help us build an awesome platform to make that happen.
A taste of what to expect as part of the Moonpig team
We have two awesome homes.
One is our HQ in Clerkenwell - Herbal House - and is a real ‘wow’ moment. It reflects our drive and ambition to make even more moments real for our customers; With loads of natural light, spaces to collaborate that support our ways of working plus great neighborhood bars & restaurants we’re proud to call it home.
The second is our brand new Tech Hub in Manchester - Spinningfields. We have a private space within the trendy WeWork offices at the highly coveted number 1 Spinningfields. With floor to ceiling windows, a lobby cafe, wellness rooms, spaces to collaborate and a cool vibe make this a great place to work.
We’re open & honest, actively listening to employee feedback to help us in our goal to become an Awesome place to work
Together we have bundles of ambition and actively support each other to hit our goals and drive the business forward
- Regular socials, engagement activities, drinks, treats and plenty more – and you can be as involved in as little or as much as you’d like
- All sorts of Learning & Development support, including a dedicated budget per team.
- Clear and structured career growth/Framework
- Choice of a laptop (Windows or Mac)
- Supportive of ad-hoc flexible working and working from home
- 25-day Annual leave (excluding Bank Holidays + 1 day extra for each year of service up to 30 days)
- Private Medical Insurance & Private Dental plan
- Contributory pension scheme
- Family Care & Employee Assistance Program
- Life Assurance that pays out x4 salary
- Eye Care Vouchers
- Interest-free travel loan & Cycle2Work scheme
- Generous credit to spend on our products (varies per brand)
- Referral scheme
Who are we?
Moonpig cards have been landing on the doorsteps of UK households for well over fifteen years. From our humble beginnings back in the year 2000, we now have over 5 million regular customers. As well as the cards which made our name, we also sell flowers and a growing range of gifts.
Moonpig is part of the Photobox Group. With brands located in the UK, France, Spain, Amsterdam, and Germany, the Photobox Group is the largest personalisation business in Europe.
Moonpig’s success is based on writing bespoke software that allows our customers to create uniquely personal products. We were founded on innovation, and it continues to be central to what we do. As our engineering team has expanded we’ve embraced agile ways of working and DevOps practices.
We are highly collaborative, working closely with our product and business partners to deliver value to our customers. Our engineering teams are made up of cross-functional, autonomous engineers that are empowered to design, write, test and deploy their own code. We have a positive working culture that supports learning and a healthy work-life balance.