Head of Data Engineering - Photobox
What is the role?
The Photobox group Architecture vision is create a platform of loosely coupled services to allow cross functional teams to concurrently test, learn, build and then iterate towards an amazing customer experience that delivers revenue growth. Supporting this vision will be a new real time data self service platform capturing and aggregating data across multiple technology platforms from browser events to order tracking events from all group entities. The platform will underpin our test and learn culture supporting the group analytics teams.
This is an exciting opportunity to join in a new role heading up the data engineering team responsible for the ground up design and build of the new data platform. The role will entail providing company-wide leadership, collaborating with many key stakeholders around the business and taking guidance and direction from Technology, Analytics, Marketing, Finance and Operations leadership particularly. The role requires strong technical and business acumen and is a great opportunity for an individual looking for their next step into a more senior role in a challenging and fast paced environment.
There are four key areas of focus for the role:
- Create a consistent, reliable, highly available self service data platform on which analysts can easily derive insight to power business decision making, facilitate ecommerce optimisation and identify new customer and product opportunities;
- Develop and execute the company’s best practice, data governance and data strategy to create a culture of data-led decision making ;
- Build and lead a team of best-in-class engineers in the Technology and Architecture function;
- Ensure company is using state-of-the art technology end-to-end; from ETL and data pipelines, to analysis, algorithms and visualisation;environment and adept at creating practical solutions to daily challenges.
What will I be doing?
- Day to day management of the Data engineering function;
- Lead, develop and grow a team of data engineering specialists with culture of agility, collaboration and transparency;
- Develop best practice and create and implement the company’s data strategy;
- Ensure data is available to businesses in a secure, actionable and reliable way;
- Manage and work with external third parties where relevant;
- Foster, mentor and support the data community within the group;
- Be instrumental in building a data-driven culture within the organisation by exposing data, making it relevant and demonstrating how it can be used;
- Contribute to major recruitment, talent and publicity events, providing thought leadership externally where possible;
- Be commercially aware and operate within the budgetary parameters;
What will I need to know?
- Minimum Degree educated, in a science based subject such as Software Engineering/Statistics/Computing/Physics
- Ecommerce experience would be an advantage;
- Expert level in data governance, data management, visualisation, web analytics and data engineering;
- Architecting large scale analytics solutions with service-oriented architectures and API’s;
- Deep understanding of Event Bus and Service bus technologies and their applications;
- Worked with AWS or other cloud based environment;
- Consistently deliver superior technical solutions;
- Coaching, mentoring, constructive feedback and influencing skills;
- Effective management of the implementation of new ideas/improvements;
- Continually define ways to improve business satisfaction and deepen stakeholder relationships;
- Demonstrate deep understanding of core business challenges unique to the retail industry;
- Effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills is a key requisite, able to present complex subjects in understandable terms using visualisation and tell a story;
- Ability to successfully resolve situations that are broadly defined, complex, diverse, and occasionally unprecedented;
- Ability to perform in a collaborative, fast-paced environment and adept at creating practical solutions to daily challenges.
It takes a particular kind of spirit to work in the PhotoBox group. It’s not for everyone. For a start, we’re a place for self starters and free thinkers. We thrive on each other’s passion for delivering amazing customer experiences, never standing still and constantly challenging the status quo. We look for new and better ways to consistently deliver results and wow customers.
We can be chaotic in our methods and while this is something we’re getting better at, the reality is when you join us, you won’t necessarily have clear structures and processes to guide you. We need people who can carve their own path and even work with others to show us the way. If you see this as the freedom to fly, read on.
What you will get from us is a whole heap of people who want to help you succeed. People who are passionate about seeing our business thrive. People who want to share what they know and what they’ve learned with you. You’ll get the chance to work on projects that are changing the experience for customers and colleagues, and everyone is welcome.
We’re at an exciting time in our evolution. We’re growing up but not growing old. We want people who can take us to the next level. People who have been there and done that, but who are up for doing things differently as well. In return we’ll invest all we can in making sure you get the best from our family of brands, because we do everything. This is a place where you can get your teeth into doing business differently. And enjoy it. Business might be serious, but we don’t have to take ourselves too seriously.
A taste of what to expect as part of the team
Our awesome new home in Clerkenwell - Herbal House - is a real ‘wow’ moment. It reflects our drive and ambition to make even more moments real for our customers; With loads of natural light, spaces to collaborate that support our ways of working plus great neighbourhood bars & restaurants we’re proud to call it home
Regular socials, engagement activities, drinks, treats and plenty more – and you can be as involved in as little or as much as you’d like
We’re open & honest, actively listening to employee feedback to help us in our goal to become an Awesome place to work
Together we have shedloads of ambition and actively support each other to hit our goals and drive the business forward
- 25 day Annual leave (excluding Bank Holidays)
- Private Medical Insurance
- Private Dental plan
- Contributory pension scheme
- Family Care
- Life Assurance that pays out x4 salary
- Eye Care Vouchers
- Interest free travel loan
- Cycle2Work scheme
- Employee Assistance Program
- Generous credit to spend on our products (varies per brand)
- Referral scheme
Since Photobox was founded in 2000 we've worked obsessively to simplify the printing and personalising of digital photos online. From humble origins (a first day's sale of just £2.70 - albeit to a customer we're proud to still serve today) Photobox has grown to become the European market-leader in photo-based products serving millions of customers a year in over ten markets.
Whether it's personalised canvases, calendars, mugs, jigsaws, phone covers, or our classic photo books, Photobox has a wide range of products perfect for every occasion.
We understand special moments deserved to be cherished that's why we treat every order as if it's our own. From births to birthdays, holidays to honeymoons, Christmas to Valentine's Day and everything in between, our teams focus on the delivery of a brilliant end to end experience from the digital journey through to high quality products arriving into our customers hands.
We’re part of Photobox Group, Europe’s leading retailer of personal and personalised products. Our family of brands – Photobox, Moonpig, Hofmann and PosterXXL – make millions of moments real for our customers around the world.