Head of Data Engineering
What is the role?
The Photobox group Architecture vision is create a platform of loosely coupled services to allow cross functional teams to concurrently test, learn, build and then iterate towards an amazing customer experience that delivers revenue growth. Supporting this vision will be a new real time data self service platform capturing and aggregating data across multiple technology platforms from browser events to order tracking events from all group entities. The platform will underpin our test and learn culture supporting the group analytics teams.
This is an exciting opportunity to join in a new role heading up the data engineering team responsible for the ground up design and build of the new data platform. The role will entail providing company-wide leadership, collaborating with many key stakeholders around the business and taking guidance and direction from Technology, Analytics, Marketing, Finance and Operations leadership particularly. The role requires strong technical and business acumen and is a great opportunity for an individual looking for their next step into a more senior role in a challenging and fast paced environment.
There are four key areas of focus for the role:
- Create a consistent, reliable, highly available self service data platform on which analysts can easily derive insight to power business decision making, facilitate ecommerce optimisation and identify new customer and product opportunities;
- Develop and execute the company’s best practice, data governance and data strategy to create a culture of data-led decision making ;
- Build and lead a team of best-in-class engineers in the Technology and Architecture function;
- Ensure company is using state-of-the art technology end-to-end; from ETL and data pipelines, to analysis, algorithms and visualisation;environment and adept at creating practical solutions to daily challenges.
What will I be doing?
- Day to day management of the Data engineering function;
- Lead, develop and grow a team of data engineering specialists with culture of agility, collaboration and transparency;
- Develop best practice and create and implement the company’s data strategy;
- Ensure data is available to businesses in a secure, actionable and reliable way;
- Manage and work with external third parties where relevant;
- Foster, mentor and support the data community within the group;
- Be instrumental in building a data-driven culture within the organisation by exposing data, making it relevant and demonstrating how it can be used;
- Contribute to major recruitment, talent and publicity events, providing thought leadership externally where possible;
- Be commercially aware and operate within the budgetary parameters;
What will I need to know?
- Minimum Degree educated, in a science based subject such as Software Engineering/Statistics/Computing/Physics
- Ecommerce experience would be an advantage;
- Expert level in data governance, data management, visualisation, web analytics and data engineering;
- Architecting large scale analytics solutions with service-oriented architectures and API’s;
- Deep understanding of Event Bus and Service bus technologies and their applications;
- Worked with AWS or other cloud based environment;
- Consistently deliver superior technical solutions;
- Coaching, mentoring, constructive feedback and influencing skills;
- Effective management of the implementation of new ideas/improvements;
- Continually define ways to improve business satisfaction and deepen stakeholder relationships;
- Demonstrate deep understanding of core business challenges unique to the retail industry;
- Effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills is a key requisite, able to present complex subjects in understandable terms using visualisation and tell a story;
- Ability to successfully resolve situations that are broadly defined, complex, diverse, and occasionally unprecedented;
- Ability to perform in a collaborative, fast-paced environment and adept at creating practical solutions to daily challenges.
A taste of what to expect as part of the team
- Our office based in office in Quai de Jemmapes has a relaxed and social atmosphere
- Regular socials, engagement activities, drinks, treats and plenty more – and you can be as involved in as little or as much as you’d like
- We’re open & honest, actively listening to employee feedback to help us in our goal to become an Awesome place to work
- Together we have shed loads of ambition and actively support each other to hit our goals and drive the business forward
- All sorts of Learning & Development to support you throughout your career, including a dedicated budget per team. We’re also launching exciting new development tools in 2018
- Contrat cadre au forfait (25CP + 11 RTT in 2018)
- Private Medical Insurance Mutuelle
- Refund 50% of pass Navigo
- +Tickets restaurant after 3 months
- Generous credit to spend on our products (varies per brand)
We’re part of Photobox Group, Europe’s leading retailer of personal and personalised products. Our family of brands – Photobox, Moonpig, Hofmann and PosterXXL – make millions of moments real for our customers around the world.