Senior Software Engineer - Cloud Optimisation (Manchester)
Help Moonpig Engineering make the most of cloud technologies
This is an exciting time to join Moonpig. In the last year the company has undergone a major transformation under new senior management to prepare the company for growth. The next 3-5 years will be spent realising Moonpig's ambition to become your personal gifting assistant.
Working in the Cloud Optimisation team you’ll be continuing the great work of our recent cloud migration by ensuring that we are taking advantage of available cloud technologies. You’ll be taking part in initiatives such as ensuring we are operating at the right scale to meet the demand of our customers, and our systems are able to scale elastically.
We are looking for senior engineers, with a DevOps mentality, who will help drive the technical decisions and delivery of the projects they are involved in. It’s a highly impactful role with tons of interesting technical problems to solve. You know what good engineering looks like. Your job now is to lead by example and help others achieve the same thing using high-levels of empathy.
Senior Engineers are the lifeblood of Moonpig, and as such we set the bar high. For us it’s so much more than just writing good code, it’s about how you enable those around you to do the same.We expect great things:
- Good engineering comes first. You'll have a great technical knowledge base and the experience to know what works and what doesn’t. We expect you to apply these skills in making the right decisions and applying best practices wherever possible.
- Technical coaching and leadership. You'll be collaborative, inclusive and spreading knowledge wherever possible. People will be looking up to you for technical guidance and part of your role will be to help them on that journey. You will also be responsible for creating the right forums to drive engineering principles and practices across all of engineering. You have the autonomy to drive decisions, but it’s your responsibility to ensure everyone is involved.
- Culture and advocacy. You will be supporting a growth culture (e.g. running lunch & learns, brown bags, etc.) as well as advocating the organisation internally and externally through meetups, blogging, hackathons etc. This is important to us as we are all in this together.
You should apply if:
- You help drive good coding practices across teams
- You advocate engineering excellence at all levels within the organisation
- You help mentor and lead all levels of engineering (This is a big one for us i.e Senior Engineers = Technical Leaders)
- You are pragmatic and understand where to compromise and where not to
- You understand business and commercial impact
- You understand delivering value quickly is important and how lean processes can enable this
- You have good communication skills, able to share status updates clearly and to ask timely and relevant questions when working with your peers.
What should you have done before:
- Worked extensively with one of the larger cloud providers
- Worked on large scale, highly transactional, distributed systems
- Provided coaching and mentorship to other engineers
- Have a good understanding of the language and framework you work in, being able to guide others when working collaboratively
- Worked with elastically scalable architectures
- Test driven development
- Pair programming
- Microservice architecture & Restful API's
Want to hear more about Moonpig and our benefits? Take a look at our dedicated hiring site https://hiring.moonpig.io/