Engineering Manager - Landing Pages & Content (Manchester)
Creating an engaging experience to guide and inspire customers when they first reach moonpig.com
This is an exciting time to join Moonpig. In the last year the company has undergone a major transformation under new senior management to prepare the company for growth. The next 3-5 years will be spent realising Moonpig's ambition to become your personal gifting assistant.
As the Engineering Manager for the Landing Pages & Content team you will be responsible for developing our engineering talent through recruitment, mentoring, coaching and effective performance reviews, enabling a team of engineers to reach both their career goals and the objectives of Moonpig.
You’ll have a hands-on role in the planning, execution and successful delivery of a new design system, the roll out of a new CMS platform and the re-launch of all of our high-value landing pages onto a new technology stack based on NextJS / ReactJS and GraphQL all running on AWS based infrastructure.
You’ll also work with our principal engineers to ensure technical best practices are adhered and with our product managers with a focus on mid to long term planning
This is a great opportunity to have a massive impact on both the Moonpig team culture and it’s future technology platforms.
What does an engineering manager do?
- Building culture. "Culture eats process for breakfast" - we wholeheartedly believe this. As an engineering manager you are responsible for fostering a growth culture and contributing to our management best practices. You help us become an exceptional place to work for the ambitious, highly motivated people we hire. Your team of engineers are responsible for various services and you advocate the mantra “You build it, you run it”. At the end of the day, you have a massive influence on our overall engineering quality and culture and you actively work to continuously improve this.
- People progression. As an engineering manager you are also expected to focus on the progression of people. Fifty percent of your time will be focussed on coaching, 121’s, mentoring and driving a high performance engineering culture. You need to be empathetic towards individuals’ needs and ensure we support and grow our engineers. You’ll identify which skill sets are required for the successful delivery of projects, coaching or recruiting engineers to cover any skill shortages.
- Driving good engineering. As an engineering manager you'll lead by example, demonstrating best practices, working with your engineers through regular pairing sessions or providing leadership to help deliver new features, ensuring that the design and development of our systems adhere to our engineering principles.
What a good engineering manager looks like for us…
- You are an empathetic leader, enjoy leading teams and developing people towards reaching their career goals
- You are data driven, metric obsessed and love visualising data (but aren’t a fan of Gantt charts)
- You are passionate and want to make a difference. You will have a bias for action, driving quick decisions to help achieve the ever scaling objectives of Moonpig.
- You know what “good” looks like and are highly skilled in the recruitment and retention of high calibre engineers, but at the same time understand that continuous improvement and meaningful, candid, actionable feedback is key to getting from good to great .
- You are a product enthusiast and put the needs of the customer at the forefront of the things you build.
- You are pragmatic around agile, quality over delivery and over-engineering. You use tools for awareness and continuous improvement, not for the sake of using them.
Want to hear more about Moonpig and our benefits? Take a look at our dedicated hiring site https://hiring.moonpig.io/