Head of Social & PR - Moonpig
About the Role
One of Moonpig’s internal values is to ‘shake things up’ and this is at the heart of the role. This is an incredible opportunity to shape and deliver the future of comms for a much-loved, high-growth and ambitious online retail leader. Despite a decent showing on social, the business sees an enormous opportunity in using social and PR to shape perception of Moonpig’s evolving brand and to drive tangible business outcomes:
- From the whacky cards people with ‘that’ jingle to the trusted first port of call to ‘make someone’s day brilliant’
- From not just cards but higher-value items like flowers, jewellery and more
- An everyday destination not just for the big calendar events
- A brand and business that aspires to be ‘the antidote to boring’ in everything it does
The Head of Social & PR is responsible for setting Moonpig’s social & PR strategy through this shift, and then delivering the awareness, profile and personality that will engage, excite and convert customers. You will be leading a small, hands-on team and a retained agency, they report to the Director of Brand Engagement.
What’s the split on social and PR?
The role is social-first and that’s where the bulk of your expertise and experience will be. But we want our content to be shareable, talked about and at the right moments, in the news too. So, think of it as ‘social powered by newsworthy stories and ideas’.
What will you do?
- Lead the creation and execution of a progressive and cohesive social and consumer PR strategy and plan (with focus on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest) integrated where appropriate, that powers the business and brand goals with a particular focus on building engagement and followers for Moonpig through the year
- Implement and continually optimise against the strategy, delivering a step-up in terms of creative execution and performance for the big seasonal and perception-change brand campaigns, through to the daily social content and commercial drumbeat, influencer engagement and advocacy
- Partner with analytics to continue to evolve metrics for existing and emerging communities, as well as to track impact of campaign initiatives on each channel.
- Partner with acquisition marketing to determine appropriate paid investment levels, and with CRM, onsite and commercial teams to ensure content is optimised across channels
- Lead a team of two and an external agency relationship to maximise results and impact at a campaign and day to day drumbeat level
- Working with the senior Moonpig team, act as a strategic marketing and communications partner advising on and shaping the consumer-facing narrative and strategy for the business overall, that works across all communications channels
- First point of contact for any crises or issues, working closely with the Group Comms Director to escalate where required
Who are you?
- You’ve an impressive track record of delivering impactful and creatively-differentiated social campaigns for consumer-facing brands, with prefered online retail experience whether agency or in-house. You’re particularly strong on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest
- You’re brand and content savvy with an integrated, social-first mindset and a nose for what’s newsworthy and shareable.
- You are a highly analytical, creative, and organized self-starting leader with strong critical thinking/problem solving skills, exceptional detail, effective negotiating skills, and excellent time management abilities
- You are an incredible written and verbal communicator who is results-driven and you strive for excellence, continually seeking opportunity to improve our social media strategy and your contributions to the team
- You ‘get’ commercial objectives, understand how they translate into meaningful social and PR campaigns and are capable of demonstrating the impact of these, making the case for further investment where required
- You instinctively know how and when PR and social should play within the broader marketing and comms mix, and embrace the opportunity to do so … and likewise, you get when it needs to do its own thing
- You enjoy working in a fast-paced, creative environment, are comfortable with change and show no hesitation diving in head first to get stuff done
- You combine strong personal instinct and conviction with a collaborative ‘team first’ approach
What Success Looks Like
- You’ll be a key part of the senior team delivering a meaningful perception shift for Moonpig, and the business growth results to go with that
- Engagement and traffic, with a shift in centre of gravity from:
- Product PR to high engagement, social-led communications
- Cards to wider gifting
- Xmas, Valentines, Mothers Day shopping destination to all year round gifting and special moments
- Creatively distinct and on-brand work that increases shareabilty and ROI
- A high-performing and motivated team and agency
A taste of what to expect as part of the team
- Our office near Borough Market & Tate Modern has a relaxed, social atmosphere. We’re currently gearing up to move to an incredible new space in Farringdon around Spring 2018. With loads of natural light, spaces to support our ways of working and great neighbourhood bars & restaurants we can’t wait to make the move
- Regular socials, engagement activities, drinks, treats and plenty more – and you can be as involved in as little or as much as you’d like
- We’re open & honest, actively listening to employee feedback to help us in our goal to become an Awesome place to work
- Together we have shedloads of ambition and actively support each other to hit our goals and drive the business forward
- All sorts of Learning & Development support, including a dedicated budget per team. We’re also launching exciting new development tools in 2018
- 25 days annual leave (excluding Bank Holidays)
- BUPA Private Medical Insurance
- Contributory pension scheme
- Life Assurance that pays out x4 salary
- Eye Care Vouchers
- Interest free travel loan
- Cycle2Work scheme
- Generous credit to spend on our products (varies per brand)
We’re all about making people’s days brilliant. That’s what gets us out of bed in the morning. Helping our customers wow that special someone with our wide range of top quality, thoughtful and personalised gifts, cards and flowers.
We’ve been on the scene since 2000 and have made over 100 million Moonpig moments for our customers here in the UK and as far afield as the US and Australia.
We started with cards and have kept on adding new ways to make a Moonpig moment since then, whether through our ever-expanding gift range or becoming a top three UK online flower seller for all the big occasions.
We’re part of Photobox Group, Europe’s leading retailer of personal and personalised products. Our family of brands – Photobox, Moonpig, Hofmann and PosterXXL – make millions of moments real for our customers around the world.