Role- Data Engineer
What You’ll Be Doing?
This is an exciting opportunity to join our data engineering function at Photobox and help us build out our data ingress, storage and processing platform. As a Data Engineer, you will have a coaching style to help others in the team deliver effectively against goals. As a senior member of the team, you also have a good understanding of architectural practices.
You will be responsible for evolving our brand new data platform building new data flows, as well as optimizing and maintaining our legacy data platform and data pipelines. You are a passionate data engineer, pipeline builder and data wrangler with a keen orientation to stakeholders.
You will work closely with the BI, data science and analytics teams as well as architects in order to establish a trusted data culture in the organisation.
You must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. You will be excited by the prospect of being part of the team in charge of building a real-time event-driven big data platform, using the most cutting-edge software and services.
You will always be passionate about delivering high-quality software.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Ensure high-standard software design that feeds into and follows a high level architectural plan
- Support the BI and Data Science teams
- Work closely with peers in other business units creating trusted relationships to ensure goals, strategy and expectations are aligned
- Be a participative team player
- Peak: prepare for and control the seasonality of the business owning the performance and support of the applications areas you are accountable
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
- Accountable for ensuring that our data engineering principles are adhered to
- Ensure data governance and data lineage are key elements to always focus on
- Help driving a program of continuous improvement
- Work closely with your team to enable a culture of aligned autonomy that drives high performances
- Instill a data democracy and self-service culture in the organization, empowering teams to build data driven products
- accountability e.g. “you build it, you run it”
- Accountable for quarterly iteration planning with your team and ensuring that effective missions, goals and technical requirements are set and then delivered against
- Manage stakeholders by proactively communicating metric driven updates to ensure your team is focused on impact
- Work with Security teams in order to ensure full GDPR compliance
- Proactively propose best in class design principles in order to build a scalable, reliable and trustable data platform
- Cloud DWH databases: Snowflake, Amazon Redshift
- Experience with AWS cloud services (API Gateway, SNS/SQS, Kinesis, Firehose, S3, Lambdas, Redshift, EMR/Spark, Code Pipeline, Code Build, RDS, ECS/ECR)
- Languages: Python, Shell Scripting, SQL
- CI/CD tools (Jenkins, Code Pipeline, Code Build, etc)
- Big data tools: EMR/Spark
- Orchestration and workflow management: Apache Airflow
- Experience in managing AWS Infrastructures (Networking, IAM, EC2, Cloud Formation, etc)
- Stream-processing systems: Kinesis, Spark-Streaming
This role will be working with an established team of data engineers running a portion of our mission-critical e-commerce platform. You will be seen as someone who has a ‘how can I help’ attitude forging mutual respect and trust.
You are a great team player, happy to get stuck in with everything; no ivory tower hierarchies here. You will naturally do everything necessary to ship on time, on spec and on budget. You are uplifting and good fun to be around; optimistic in nature, able to laugh often. You don't take yourself too seriously but you take your work very seriously..
You insist on the highest standards on everything you do. You are right a lot but are also able to be vocally self-critical and immune to loss aversion.
You are a strong communicator understanding how to get the best from others ensuring the message you are trying to portray is the message that is being received.
What experience will you have?
- Minimum Degree educated, in a science based subject such as Software Engineering/Statistics/Computing/Physics
- Effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills is a key requisite;
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL)
- Advanced working Python (2/3) experience including data-oriented frameworks as Pandas or PySpark
- Experience in software development lifecycle (SDLC)
- Strong emphasis on production quality tested code
- Experience with CI/CD automation tools
- Using source code control (Git) in multi-branch environments
- Experience building and optimising data pipelines, architectures and data sets
- Strong analytical skills
- Understanding and knowledge of data governance, data management, data visualisation
- Worked in or managed Agile development teams using Scrum or Kanban engineering practices
Nice to have:
- Experience of running cloud-based and serverless production environments
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ columnar stores such as Amazon Redshift and Snowflake
- Strong project management and organisational skills
- Working experience in ETL/ELT and data warehouse implementation; familiarity with design principles, data layer segregation, dimensional/logical/physical modelling, conformed dimensions, SCD, etc
- Python 2 to 3 project migration
- Ecommerce experience
A taste of what to expect as part of the team
Our awesome new home in Clerkenwell - Herbal House - is a real ‘wow’ moment. It reflects our drive and ambition to make even more moments real for our customers; With loads of natural light, spaces to collaborate that support our ways of working plus great neighbourhood bars & restaurants we’re proud to call it home.
Together we have bundles of ambition and actively support each other to hit our goals and drive the business forward
- Regular socials, engagement activities, drinks, treats and plenty more – and you can be as involved in as little or as much as you’d like
- Degreed, our training and learning platform
- Clear and structured career growth/Framework
- Choice of laptop (Windows or Mac)
- Supportive of adhoc flexi working and working from home
- 25 day Annual leave (excluding Bank Holidays + 1 day extra for each year of service up to 30 days)
- Private Medical Insurance & Private Dental plan
- Contributory pension scheme
- Family Care & Employee Assistance Program
- Life Assurance that pays out x4 salary
- Eye Care Vouchers
- Interest free travel loan & Cycle2Work scheme
- Generous credit to spend on our products (varies per brand)
- Referral scheme
Since Photobox was founded in 2000 we've worked obsessively to simplify the printing and personalising of digital photos online. From humble origins (a first day's sale of just £2.70 - albeit to a customer we're proud to still serve today) Photobox has grown to become the European market-leader in photo-based products serving millions of customers a year in over ten markets.
Whether it's personalised canvases, calendars, mugs, jigsaws, phone covers, or our classic photo books, Photobox has a wide range of products perfect for every occasion.
We understand special moments deserve to be cherished that's why we treat every order as if it's our own. From births to birthdays, holidays to honeymoons, Christmas to Valentine's Day and everything in between, our teams focus on the delivery of a brilliant end to end experience from the digital journey through to high-quality products arriving into our customers' hands.
We’re part of Photobox Group, Europe’s leading retailer of personal and personalised products. Our family of brands – Photobox, Hofmann, PosterXXL, Moonpig and Greetz – make millions of moments real for our customers around the world.