Data Architect - Moonpig (London)
What would you do if there were no constraints? Challenging the status quo and pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved will be key to Moonpig as we take on some of the biggest challenges we have ever faced.
As a result, we are looking for a Data Architect with experience in modelling business data domains and supporting BI, analytics and engineering teams. Moonpig is rebuilding its data platform from the ground up and this platform will help drive a true data-driven organisation whilst enabling capabilities such as:
- accurate trusted business metrics
- machine learning models at scale for both batch and real-time scenarios
- democratising data and the transformation thereof
- a highly transparent operational overview
It’s a highly impactful role with tons of interesting technical problems to solve. Your job will be to work across the various data sources we have, understand them and model domains that can be used by the business to drive decisions and add value.
What you can expect as Data Architect
Data Architects are central to our understanding of data and as such, we set the bar high. For us it’s so much more than just writing SQL, it’s about how you work with and strive to understand the business and work with its stakeholders. We have the following four major expectations for this role:
- You own the analytics platforms. You own the data platform (Snowflake) that all our data flows through and are responsible for the governance thereof. Protecting our data is critically important so controlling this access is a top priority and ensuring only the right people have access to the right data at the right time.
- You own our core SQL servers. We have a SQL servers which supports all our transactional systems and is a vital source of data for the business. We are migrating to a microservice based architecture, meaning the dependency on theseis SQL servers will reduce over time, but during this transition you are responsible for the successful operation of theseis databases.
- You own the T in ELT (transformation). Your main day to day focus will be on building and supporting the transformations we apply to our data lake in order to produce meaningful data models that can be used by analytics and the rest of the business. In order to do this, you will need to work closely with the business and its stakeholders to understand the assumptions and aggregations.
- You are responsible for the trust in our data. Part of the job is building out comprehensive tests (both integrity, presence and quality) in order to create confidence in the data we produce. This allows us to detect issues early on and in doing so we control the message. Our data is only as good as the trust people have in it so it's really important we maintain this be proactive about improving this.
What we expect from a Data Architect
- You are data-driven, metric obsessed and love visualising data (but aren’t a fan of Gantt charts)
- You are passionate and want to make a difference. You take the initiative to help achieve the ever scaling objectives of Moonpig
- You understand data, the flow of data and the value in having proper governance around your data
- You can communicate well with business stakeholders and work with engineers and analysts to solve problems.
- You are a SQL expert and understand how to use and leverage the power of big data systems such as Snowflake and BigQuery
- You are able to translate business assumptions to SQL
- You work well within an agile team and understand how to deliver value incrementally.
What kind of experience you should have
- Experience fostering a culture of data excellence in an agile environment.
- Working on large scale data platforms undertaking transformations
- Extensive experience in SQL
- Worked with and supported Data Engineers, Analysts and Data Scientists,
- Demonstrate strategic and critical thinking with a history of shrewd decision making
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical people
- Ability to give meaningful, candid, actionable feedback
Extra bonus points if you
- Have experience working in Snowflake
- Have a background in statistics or some related data science/analytics experience
- Have a broad and comprehensive understanding of concepts and principles in data
- Influence and facilitate at various technical levels
What tech you should have experience in
- Snowflake (or similar data warehouses such as Redshift or BigQuery)
- Ingestion tools such as Fivetran, Stitch Data, Airflow or similar
- SQL and modelling data
- Data governance or related tools
- AWS experience is a bonus
Want to hear more about Moonpig and our benefits? Take a look at our dedicated hiring site https://hiring.moonpig.io/