Senior Software Engineer - Platform (London)
Do you want to be a part of a team that has a real impact and is tasked with solving some big platform problems? A team that is creating the blueprints that define how our engineering teams will be building on our multi-million pound e-commerce tech stack.
Are you interested in working at the intersection of DevOps, Architecture, Infrastructure and Coding? Do you want to work with a talented team of engineers looking to help you grow whilst needing your support and mentoring? Well, good news. Our Platform team is just the team.
Working in our Platform team, you will be playing a key role in designing and building the patterns, practices and architectures used by our engineering teams going forward. You will be solving problems such as creating a unified monitoring and alerting solution in a serverless world, standardising our messaging architecture, creating CI/CD pipelines, creating our Global API architecture and more.
As a Senior Engineer you will help drive the technical decisions and delivery of the projects you are involved in. It’s a highly impactful role with tons of interesting technical problems to solve. You know what good engineering looks like. Your job now is to lead by example and help others achieve the same thing using high-levels of empathy.
This is an exciting time to join Moonpig. In the last year the company has undergone a major transformation under new senior management to prepare the company for growth. The next 3-5 years will be spent realising Moonpig's ambition to become your personal gifting assistant.
Senior Engineers are the lifeblood of Moonpig, and as such we set the bar high. For us it’s so much more than just writing good code, it’s about how you enable those around you to do the same.
We expect great things:
- Good engineering comes first. You'll have a great technical knowledge base and the experience to know what works and what doesn’t. We expect you to apply these skills in making the right decisions and applying best practices wherever possible.
- Technical coaching and leadership. You'll be collaborative, inclusive and spreading knowledge wherever possible. People will be looking up to you for technical guidance and part of your role will be to help them on that journey. You will also be responsible for creating the right forums to drive engineering principles and practices across all of engineering. You have the autonomy to drive decisions, but it’s your responsibility to ensure everyone is involved.
- Culture and advocacy. You will be supporting a growth culture (e.g. running lunch & learns, brown bags, etc.) as well as advocating the organisation internally and externally through meetups, blogging, hackathons etc. This is important to us as we are all in this together.
You should apply if:
- You help drive good coding practices across teams
- You advocate engineering excellence at all levels within the organisation
- You help mentor and lead all levels of engineering (This is a big one for us, Senior Engineers == Technical Leaders)
- You are pragmatic and understand when to compromise and when not to
- You understand delivery and how lean processes can enable this
- You have a solid understanding of web technologies (IP, DNS, HTTP)
- You enjoy working closely with other engineering teams to deliver tooling that supports their work
What should you have done before:
- Worked with one of the larger cloud providers on a highly transactional, distributed system
- Worked with async and event driven architectures
- Worked with CI/CD tooling
- Worked with Logging, Monitoring and Alerting stacks
- Provided coaching and mentorship to other engineers
- Test driven development
- Pair programming
- Microservices architecture & Restful API's
Want to hear more about Moonpig and our benefits? Take a look at our dedicated hiring site https://hiring.moonpig.io/