Head of Engineering (Manchester)
As a Head of Engineering, you will be looking after a large portion of our £100 million / year technology platform. With that comes a great amount of responsibility and the ability to influence change at all levels. You will be trusted to lead and develop your teams in order to meet our ambitious growth and technical goals whilst being supported every step of the way. This is a great opportunity to drive significant impact as part of a great leadership team.
What's expected from you in this role?
Great things! But to be more specific, we expect the following from you (these are absolutely critical and non-negotiable):
- You’ll be responsible for the continuous improvement of our engineering excellence at Moonpig. You’ll use your very strong technical knowledge in order to influence engineering decisions at all levels as well as understanding the technical impact of those decisions long term. You’ll need to ensure we are building out our principles, standards and working towards only solving problems once.
- You’ll be expected to take large programs of work/initiatives, create clarity around any ambiguity, define a process and then be able to demonstrate the business impact. To do this you’ll need to use your solid approach to data-driven decision making and your ability to clearly articulate complex topics. You’ll be able to answer key question such as where are the bottlenecks and what is the cost to the business. You’ll be using your strong process and data skills to improve everything from our engineering growth framework to our recruitment process to our constant push for excellence.
- You’ll be highly effective at collaboration and strive to break down silos and avoid them forming. This will apply to working with your peers, your teams and your key stakeholders. You’ll understand how to communicate at all levels and be responsible for driving initiatives across multiple different teams, not just your own. There is no value in your team being perfect but everyone else’s falling apart. Understand what works, what doesn’t (this is why your data skills are so important) and work with the rest of technology to collectively improve.
These are no mean feat, but at the same time, we are not an ordinary company!
What you should have done before?
- You have experience working as a manager in a very technical domain
- You have delivered multiple successful technical projects in the past
- You have professionally developed and mentored team members and team leads
- You have developed long term technical strategies/roadmaps
- You have demonstrated effective collaboration across functions
- You have worked with highly scalable engineering platforms
- You have successfully managed stakeholders at all levels
- You have extensive experience delivering products across web, mobile & ecom
- You have represented your company within the wider technology industry
- You were a proven contributor to the business vision and innovation
- You worked in a cloud-based organisation with high scale
- You have positively contributed towards the overall engineering excellence of your organisation
What type of skills should you have?
- Communicate and articulate clearly and effectively
- Drive clarity from ambiguity
- Lead, manage and drive great, consistent performance
- Have a broad and in-depth commercial understanding of large scale e-commerce platforms and the wider industry
- Have a broad and comprehensive understanding of concepts and principles in engineering
- Coach and develop people leaders and individual contributors
- Understand, plan and manage budgets
- Influence and facilitate at various technical levels
- Detailed and in-depth commercial understanding of large scale e-commerce platforms
- Excellent understanding of wider industry context & trends, both technical & product
What are you responsible and accountable for?
- Developing and delivering engineering roadmaps & strategies that span teams and functions and that have a direct impact on business performance
- Define frameworks and processes to support larger engineering programmes with data to demonstrate progress and business impact
- Communicating broader commercial understanding of Moonpig and the wider industry within your teams and other functions
- Coaching and developing new and existing people managers and principal individual contributors
- Bringing together multiple teams to build a shared culture and better cross-team collaboration
- Being an approachable, supportive and compassionate Head to reporting team members and colleagues
- Providing passionate direction through articulating and engaging others with functional vision and priorities.
- Planning, allocating and managing the budget of your teams and (jointly) of Technology as a whole
- Managing expectations of senior stakeholders and key external partners
- Running cross-functional projects and initiatives
- Solving complex problems with broad impact either individually or through collaboration with stakeholders
- Heading up multidisciplinary projects, initiatives or teams
- Agreeing on a roadmap for overall marketplace product engineering with the Technology leadership team
- Has full responsibility and accountability for decision and for the delivery of the engineering roadmap
- Undertaking risk analysis to understand the impact of a decision on the business
- Incrementally improving underlying reliability of Moonpig’s platforms and applications through the adoption of well-tested patterns developed internally or elsewhere
- Inputting into the Technology on-call processes, budget, and rota
Want to hear more about Moonpig and our benefits? Take a look at our dedicated hiring site https://hiring.moonpig.io/